Best of the historic center of Athens
Useful information about traveling to Athens, Greece.
- Acropolis in Athens is an ancient location on an extremely rocky outcrop above the city and contains the remains of several ancient buildings of great architectural and historic significance. The most famous is Parthenon!
- Acropolis museum is a brand new building as awesome as the treasures it houses.With a clear glass walk away, it was voted the 9th best museum in the world and the 5th best in Europe! (according to travel website TripAdvisor’s annual Traveler’s Choice awards for museums)
- Plaka is under the Acropolis and it’s my favorite neighborhood in Athens. It’s like a traditional village with many typical restaurants, cafes and tourist shops.
- Monastiraki is a flea market in the old town of Athens, with clothing boutiques and souvenir shops and it’s a major tourist attraction in Athens, for bargain shopping!
- Hellenic Parliament is the parliament of Greece, located in the Old Royal Palace, overlooking Syntagma Square in Athens!
- Next to the Parliament are the National Gardens and the Zapeion exhibition hall. Not far opposite Zapeion are the Temple of Olympian Zeus and the Hadrian Arch.
- Syntagma: Members of the military unit stand in perfect stillness in front of the Hellenic Parliament. Evzones is a special unit of the Hellenic army, also known as Tsoliades who guard the Monument of the Unknown Soldier in front of the Hellenic Parliament and the Presidential Mansion and they have become symbols of bravery and courage for the Greeks.
- Kolonaki is a cosmopolitan, elegant place for shopping therapy, with Greek and international luxury brands but it’s also a location where you can find lots of trendy cafes and chic restaurants. Athenians from all over the city flock to Kolonaki and jet-setters, politicians, actors, singers, artists etc mingle with the crowd.
- Visit Marina Flisvos, enjoy your day by the sea and have lunch at one of the many restaurants there.
- Visit Piraeus the port of Athens where all the ferries depart to the Greek islands, with its beautiful marinas in Kastella and Mikrolimano, the wonderful coastal area of Peiraiki with the fish taverns and the amazing views of the Saronic Gulf.
- Visit Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center.
- Have a drink at the amazing Grand Bretagne Hotel to admire the stunning view of Athens from the roof garden.